- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Attributed to The Berlin Painter, Greek (500 BCE - 470 BCE)
- Neck Amphora (storage jar): Triton with Scepter and Dolphin; Woman Running
- Work Type
- c. 490 BCE
- Creation Place: Ancient & Byzantine World, Europe, Attica
- Archaic period
Level 3, Room 3400, Ancient Mediterranean and Near Eastern Art, Ancient Greece in Black and Orange
View this object's location on our interactive map
- Physical Descriptions
- 30.8 cm h x 18 cm diam. (12 1/8 x 7 1/16 in.)
- Edward Perry Warren, Esq., London, (by 1927-1928), gift; to Fogg Art Museum, 1927.
- State, Edition, Standard Reference Number
- Standard Reference Number
- Beazley Archive Database #201859
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Gift of Edward P. Warren, Esq.
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Asian and Mediterranean Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- A: Triton with sceptre and dolphin; B: Nereid
- Publication History
George M. A. Hanfmann, Greek Art and Life, An Exhibition Catalogue, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1950), no. 139.
J. D. Beazley, Attic Red-Figure Vase-Painters, The Clarendon Press (Oxford, England, 1963), 200,49
The Berlin Painter, auct. cat., Oxford University Press (UK) (Oxford, 1983), p. 75, no. 17, plate XLIII c-d
Lexicon Iconographicum Mythologiae Classicae (LIMC), Artemis (Zürich, Switzerland, 1999), Vol. 8, Triton 1.
- Exhibition History
Greek Art and Life: From the Collections of the Fogg Art Museum, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, and Private Lenders, Fogg Art Museum, 03/07/1950 - 04/15/1950
Fragments of Antiquity: Drawing Upon Greek Vases, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 03/15/1997 - 12/28/1997
The Centaur’s Smile : the human animal in early Greek art, Princeton University Art Museum, Princeton, 10/11/2003 - 01/18/2004; The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, Houston, 02/22/2004 - 05/16/2004
Ancient to Modern, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 01/31/2012 - 06/01/2013
32Q: 3400 Greek, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 11/01/2014
- Subjects and Contexts
Google Art Project
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Asian and Mediterranean Art at email@example.com