- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Manner of Peleus Painter, Greek
- Bell Krater (bowl for mixing wine and water): Torch Race
- Other Titles
- Alternate Title: Red-figure Bell Krater: Torch Race with Prize Hydria; Three Youths
- Work Type
- c. 430-420 BCE
- Creation Place: Ancient & Byzantine World, Europe, Gela (Sicily)
- Classical period, High
Level 3, Room 3410, South Arcade
View this object's location on our interactive map
- Physical Descriptions
- 36.1 cm h x 39.6 cm diam. (14 3/16 x 15 9/16 in.)
- David M. Robinson, Baltimore, MD, (by 1937-1958), bequest; to Fogg Art Museum, 1960.
- State, Edition, Standard Reference Number
- Standard Reference Number
- Beazley Archive Database #213533
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Bequest of David M. Robinson
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Asian and Mediterranean Art
- Side A: Torch race: two runners with torches, altar, olive tree, prize hydria (water jar).
Side B: Three youths, one with strigil, another with staff.
Under rim: olive wreath; ground line: meander pattern; tongue pattern at handle attachments.
Recomposed from fragments, with some inpainting.
- Publication History
Susan B. Matheson, Polygnotos and Vase Painting in Classical Athens (The University of Wisconsin Press, 1995), pp. 108-115, pl. 97, p. 115.
Rosalba Panvini and Filippo Giudice, Ta Attika: Attic Figured Vases From Gela, L'Erma di Bretschneider (Rome, 2003), p. 395 (fig. L49), p. a109
Stephen Miller, Ancient Greek Athletics, Yale University Press (U.S.) (New Haven, 2004), p. 141, fig. 227
Thesaurus Cultus et Rituum Antiquorum, J. Paul Getty Museum (Los Angeles, CA, 2004-2012), II 3.a Purification, Gr. 101 [illust. pl. 2].
Zerrin Iren Boynudelik and Mahmut Boynudelik, The Color of Olive: Olive Images in Art History (Zeytinin Renkleri: Sanat Tarihinde Zeytin Imgesi), Umur Yayinlari (Istanbul, Turkey, 2011), p. 46, ill.
Claire L. Lyons, Michael J. Bennett, and Clemente Marconi, ed., Sicily: Art and Invention between Greece and Rome, exh. cat., J. Paul Getty Museum (Los Angeles, CA, 2013), pp. 87, 89, fig. 50
David M. Pritchard, Sport, Democracy and War in Classical Athens, Cambridge University Press (Cambridge, 2013), p. 77, fig. 2.3.
- Exhibition History
The David Moore Robinson Bequest of Classical Art and Antiquities: A Special Exhibition, Fogg Art Museum, 05/01/1961 - 09/20/1961
Goddess and Polis: The Panathenaic Festival in Ancient Athens, Tampa Museum of Art, Tampa, 01/09/1993 - 04/16/1993; Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, 05/11/1993 - 08/01/1993; Princeton University Art Museum, Princeton, 08/31/1993 - 11/28/1993; Hood Museum of Art, Hanover, 09/12/1992 - 12/06/1992
Veder Greco a Gela, Palazzo Pignatelli, Gela, 01/15/2004 - 03/16/2004
The Greek Athlete and the Games, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Boston, 07/20/2004 - 11/28/2004
- Subjects and Contexts
Artstor Digital Library
Google Art Project
- Verification Level
3 - Good. Object is well described and information is vetted