- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Gerhard Richter, German (Dresden, Germany 1932 -)
- Work Type
- Creation Place: Europe, Germany
Level 3, Room 3620, University Study Gallery
View this object's location on our interactive map
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- actual: 260 x 200 cm (102 3/8 x 78 3/4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: On verso in black ink: Richter 1983
- inscription: on verso, in black ink: "SAID"
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Busch-Reisinger Museum, Gift of Lufthansa German Airlines
- © Gerhard Richter
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Modern and Contemporary Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Peter Nisbet and Emilie Norris, Busch-Reisinger Museum: History and Holdings, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 1991), p. 96, ill.
Celka Straughn, Stratification: An Installation of Works since 1960, brochure, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 2005), [n.p.] ill. (color)
Peter Nisbet and Joseph Koerner, The Busch-Reisinger Museum, Harvard University Art Museums, ed. Peter Nisbet, Harvard University Art Museums and Scala Publishers Ltd. (Cambridge, MA and London, England, 2007), p. 23
Stephan Wolohojian, ed., Harvard Art Museum/ Handbook, Harvard Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 2008), p. 239, ill.
This Will Have Been: Art, Love and Politics in the 1980s, exh. cat. (Chicago and New Haven, 2012), pp. 113-114, ill. (color)
- Exhibition History
Gerhard Richter Retrospective, Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto, 04/29/1988 - 07/10/1988; Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago, Chicago, 09/17/1988 - 11/27/1988; Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Washington, D.C., 12/14/1988 - 02/12/1989; San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, San Francisco, 03/15/1989 - 05/28/1989
Stratification: An Installation of Works since 1960, Busch-Reisinger Museum, 09/17/2005 - 02/26/2006
This Will Have Been: Art, Love, and Politics in the 1980s, Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago, Chicago, 02/11/2012 - 06/03/2012; Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, 06/30/2012 - 09/30/2012; Institute of Contemporary Art, Boston, Boston, 11/16/2012 - 03/03/2013
- Subjects and Contexts
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Modern and Contemporary Art at firstname.lastname@example.org