- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
- Hydria (water jar): Herakles as Musician
- Work Type
- c. 510 BCE
Creation Place: Ancient & Byzantine World, Europe, Attica
Find Spot: Ancient & Byzantine World, Europe, Vulci (Etruria)
- Archaic period
Level 3, Room 3400, Ancient Mediterranean and Near Eastern Art, Ancient Greece in Black and Orange
View this object's location on our interactive map
- Physical Descriptions
- with handles: 41 x Diam. 32 cm (16 1/8 x 12 5/8 in.)
- Found at Vulci. Campanari Collection (1833). Durand Collection (1833-1836) sold; to Claude Camille Rollin, Paris, (1836). Purchase (1993) Jerome Eisenberg, Royal Athena Galleries, New York, [Nanterre Sale], sold; to Harvard University Art Museums, 1994.
- State, Edition, Standard Reference Number
- Standard Reference Number
- Beazley Archive Database #44158
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Gift of the Florence Gould Foundation, Dr. and Mrs. Jerome M. Eisenberg and William Collins Kohler, Purchase from the Alpheus Hyatt Purchasing Fund, Anonymous Fund in memory of Henry Berg, Henry George Berg Bequest, Gift in Gratitude to John Coolidge, Gift of Leslie Cheek, Jr., Director's Discretionary Fund
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Asian and Mediterranean Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Herakles plays the kithara before a helmeted Athena who wears an aegis and holds a spear in her left hand. On the right, Hermes holds the herald's staff (kerykeion) wears winged boots, chlamys and a pointed cap with a long brim at the front. On the left, a woman wearing a long shawl over her peplos. Her left hand is muffled in drapery and in her right, she holds a branch (of olive or ivy?). She may be Hebe, the wife of Herakles. Three pairs of combatant warriors on the shoulder.
- Publication History
A Decade of Collecting: Recent Acquisitions by the Harvard University Art Museums, exh. cat., Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, Spring 2000), p. 25-27
Biography of a Vase, Persephone (Hollis, NH, Fall 2006), Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 46-48; pp. 46-47, ill.
- Exhibition History
32Q: 3400 Greek, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 11/01/2014
- Subjects and Contexts
Google Art Project
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Asian and Mediterranean Art at email@example.com