- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Hendrick Goltzius, Dutch (Mühlbracht 1558 - 1617 Haarlem, Netherlands)
- The Farnese Hercules
- Other Titles
- Series/Book Title: Antique Statues of Rome
- Work Type
- c. 1592 - 1617
- Physical Descriptions
- plate: 41.5 x 29.8 cm (16 5/16 x 11 3/4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: HGoltzius sculp.
- inscription: engraved in plate; lower left corner above border, black printer's ink, engraved in plate: HGoltzius sculp. Cum privilig. / Sa. Cae. M. / Herman Adolfsz / excud. Haarlemen.
- inscription: centered below border, between two parts of quote, black printers ink, engraved in plate: Statua antiqua Romae in palatio Cardinalis Fernisij / opus posthumum HGoltzy, iam primum divulgat An°. M.D.C.X.VII.
- inscription: below border, left side, black printer's ink, engraved in plate, Latin: , Dominto triformi rege Lusitaniae, / Raptisque [?] malis quae Hesperi sub cardine [half of a verse by Neo-Latin poet and rector of the Latin School of Leiden, Theodorus Schrevelius (1572-1649)
- inscription: below border, right half of verse, black printer's ink, engraved in plate, Latin: Servarat bortis [?] aureis virgil draco, / Schrevel. / Fessus quievi terror orbis Hercules. [half of verse by Theodorus Schrevelius]
- inscription: engraved on stone base of statue, black printer's ink, engraved in plate: HERCVLES VICTOR
- Francis Calley Gray, bequest to nephew, 1856.
William Gray, gift to Harvard University, 1857.
- State, Edition, Standard Reference Number
- Standard Reference Number
- H. 145, B. 143, FK P.5.1, TIB0301.143
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of William Gray from the collection of Francis Calley Gray
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- Exhibition History
The "Master Prints" of Hendrik Goltzius and Mannerist Art, Davis Museum at Wellesley College, Wellesley, 03/09/2005 - 06/30/2005
HAA 10 Survey Course: The Western Tradition, Art Since the Renaissance, Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 03/08/2008 - 04/06/2008
HAA 10 Survey Course (S421): The Western Tradition: Art Since the Renaissance (Fall 08 Rotation 2), Arthur M. Sackler Museum, 10/23/2008 - 11/16/2008
HAA 10 Survey Course (S421): The Western Tradition: Art Since the Renaissance (Fall 09 Rotation 2), Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Cambridge, 10/16/2009 - 11/08/2009
Around Antique: Prints, Drawings, and Photographs (Teaching Gallery) S421, Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Cambridge, 05/14/2010 - 09/04/2010
32Q: 2300 Dutch & Flemish, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 07/13/2017 - 01/01/2018
- Subjects and Contexts
Google Art Project
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org