- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Hendrick Goltzius, Dutch (Mühlbracht 1558 - 1617 Haarlem, Netherlands)
- The Farnese Hercules
- Other Titles
- Series/Book Title: Antique Statues of Rome
- Work Type
- c. 1592 - 1617
- Physical Descriptions
- plate: 41.5 x 29.8 cm (16 5/16 x 11 3/4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: HGoltzius sculp.
- inscription: below border, right half of verse, black printer's ink, engraved in plate, Latin: Servarat bortis [?] aureis virgil draco, / Schrevel. / Fessus quievi terror orbis Hercules. [half of verse by Theodorus Schrevelius]
- inscription: engraved on stone base of statue, black printer's ink, engraved in plate: HERCVLES VICTOR
- inscription: engraved in plate; lower left corner above border, black printer's ink, engraved in plate: HGoltzius sculp. Cum privilig. / Sa. Cae. M. / Herman Adolfsz / excud. Haarlemen.
- inscription: centered below border, between two parts of quote, black printers ink, engraved in plate: Statua antiqua Romae in palatio Cardinalis Fernisij / opus posthumum HGoltzy, iam primum divulgat An°. M.D.C.X.VII.
- inscription: below border, left side, black printer's ink, engraved in plate, Latin: , Dominto triformi rege Lusitaniae, / Raptisque [?] malis quae Hesperi sub cardine [half of a verse by Neo-Latin poet and rector of the Latin School of Leiden, Theodorus Schrevelius (1572-1649)
- Francis Calley Gray, bequest to nephew, 1856.
William Gray, gift to Harvard University, 1857.
- State, Edition, Standard Reference Number
- ii, S2/2
- Standard Reference Number
- H. 145, B. 143, FK P.5.1, TIB0301.143
- Aquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of William Gray from the collection of Francis Calley Gray
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- Exhibition History
The "Master Prints" of Hendrik Goltzius and Mannerist Art, Davis Museum and Cultural Center, Wellesley, 03/09/2005 - 06/30/2005
HAA 10 Survey Course: The Western Tradition, Art Since the Renaissance, Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 03/08/2008 - 04/06/2008
HAA 10 Survey Course (S421): The Western Tradition: Art Since the Renaissance (Fall 08 Rotation 2), Arthur M. Sackler Museum, 10/23/2008 - 11/16/2008
HAA 10 Survey Course (S421): The Western Tradition: Art Since the Renaissance (Fall 09 Rotation 2), Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Cambridge, 10/16/2009 - 11/08/2009
Around Antique: Prints, Drawings, and Photographs (Teaching Gallery) S421, Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Cambridge, 05/14/2010 - 09/04/2010
- Subjects and Contexts
- Verification Level
3 - Good. Object is well described and information is vetted