- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
John Singer Sargent, American (Florence, Italy 1856 - 1925 London, England)
- Study for Seated Musicians for "El Jaleo"
- Work Type
- c. 1882
- Creation Place: North America, United States
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 61.3 x 81.1 cm (24 1/8 x 31 15/16 in.)
framed: 77.5 x 97.2 x 7.6 cm (30 1/2 x 38 1/4 x 3 in.)
- Gift of the artist to Jules François Gabriel Renaudot, Paris; to his wife, Mme. Renaudot (at his death?); her sale, Christie's, London, June 24, 1927, lot 83; purchased by Leslie Milne or Mulne, London; sold at Christie's London, June 27, 1931, lot 93; Gooden and Fox, London; Scott and Fowles, New York; purchased by Grenville L. Winthrop, New York, 1932 [Winthrop paid $3000]; his bequest to the Fogg Art Museum, 1943.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Grenville L. Winthrop
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- The Harvard Art Museum owns a number of drawings by Sargent relating to this theme, including 1937.8.2, 1937.8.12 (pen and wash sketches of dancer with seated figures), and 1937.8.22, a version of the figure at the left of this composition. The finished painting is at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, Boston.
- Publication History
Evan Charteris, John Sargent, Charles Scribner's Sons (New York, NY, 1927), p. 282
Martin Birnbaum, John Singer Sargent, January 12, 1856-April 15, 1925: A Conversation, William E. Rudge's Sons (New York, NY, 1941), p. 57, repr. in b/w
Charles Merrill Mount, John Singer Sargent: A Biography, W. W. Norton & Company (New York, NY, 1955), no. K8222
Richard Ormond, "Sargent's El Jaleo", Fenway Court, Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum (Boston, MA, 1970), p. 15
Richard Ormond, John Singer Sargent: Paintings, Drawings, Watercolors, Harper & Row (New York, NY and London, England, 1970), p. 238
Kenyon Castle Bolton, III, Peter G. Huenink, Earl A. Powell III, Harry Z. Rand, and Nanette C. Sexton, American Art at Harvard, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1972), cat. 115, ill.
John Singer Sargent, His Own Work, exh. cat., Coe Kerr Gallery, Inc. (New York, NY, 1980), in checklist, unpaginated
Mary Crawford Volk, John Singer Sargent's El Jaleo, exh. cat., National Gallery of Art (Washington, D.C, 1992), catalogue no. 48, p. 188, reproduced in color p. 189
Richard Ormond and Elaine Kilmurray, John Singer Sargent: Figures and Landscapes, 1874-1882, Yale University Press (U.S.) (New Haven and London, 2006), no. 774, repr.; p. 268, no. 5
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr., Virginia Anderson, and Kimberly Orcutt, ed., American Paintings at Harvard, Volume Two, Paintings, Drawings, Pastels and Stained Glass by Artists Born 1826-1856, Harvard University Art Museums/Yale University Press (Cambridge, MA and New Haven, CT, 2008), p. 298-99, cat. no. 316, reproduced in color, p. 299
- Exhibition History
American Art at Harvard, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 04/19/1972 - 06/18/1972
For Students of Art and Lovers of Beauty: Highlights from the Collection of Grenville L. Winthrop, Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 04/16/2004
- Subjects and Contexts
Google Art Project
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org