- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
- Mihras, the Envoy of Ceasar, Offers Nushirvan the Treasure of Rum (text, recto; painting and text, verso), illustrated folio from a manuscript of the Shahnama of Firdawsi.
- Work Type
- manuscript folio
- c. 1330
- Creation Place: Middle East, Iraq, Baghdad?
- Ilkhanid period
- Physical Descriptions
- Ink, colors, and gold on paper
- folio: 26.1 x 9.6 cm (10 1/4 x 3 3/4 in.)
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Gift of John Goelet
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Asian and Mediterranean Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Marianna Shreve Simpson, "The Illustration of an Epic: The Earliest Shahnama Manuscripts" (1979), Garland Publishing, Inc., fig. 94
Marianna Shreve Simpson, Arab and Persian Painting in the Fogg Art Museum, Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1980), pp. 23-25, no. 4, ill.
40 Years On... Donations by John Goelet: Sculpture, Paintings and Drawings, Miniatures and Calligraphy, Tankas and Mandala, M. T. Train / Scala Books (New York, NY, 2000), page 152, 235
- Exhibition History
Arab and Persian Painting, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 02/10/1981 - 03/09/1981
Islamic Art and the Written Word, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 10/05/1983 - 11/27/1983
Islamic Art: The Power of Pattern, Harvard University Art Museums, Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Cambridge, 09/23/1989 - 01/17/1990
Paintings for Princes: The Art of the Book in Islam, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 01/27/1990 - 03/25/1990
Transformations: Asia East and West, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 12/19/1992 - 02/14/1993
Courts and Countryside: Islamic Paintings from the 14th through the 17th century, Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Cambridge, 05/21/1999 - 08/22/1999
Word and Image in Persian Painting, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 01/31/2013 - 03/30/2013
32Q: 2550 Islamic, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 04/26/2016 - 11/01/2016
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Asian and Mediterranean Art at email@example.com