- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Herman Saftleven, Dutch (Rotterdam, Netherlands 1609 - 1685 Utrecht, Netherlands)
- Mullein Pink
- Work Type
- Physical Descriptions
- Translucent and opaque watercolor and brown ink over graphite, some glazing in green areas, on cream antique laid paper
- 20 x 15.7 cm (7 7/8 x 6 3/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: Lower left, brown ink, HS. [in ligature] f. 1680
- inscription: former mount, verso, brown ink: Lychnis coronaria flore rubro simplici
- watermark: Fragment of a posthorn. Related to Heawood group 2686-2693, England or London, 1680-1695.
- inscription: verso, upper center, brown ink: A:a
- collector's mark: verso, lower left, blue ink stamp: L. 3306 (Maida and George Abrams)
- inscription: Former mount, interior, lower right, graphite: H Saftleven "Petunias"
- inscription: Former mount, verso, upper left, typed label: International Exhibition Foundation / "SEVENTEENTH CENTURY DUTCH DRAWINGS FROM AMERICAN COLLECTIONS" / 45. Herman Saftleven / A Flower [underlined] / Lent by Maida and George Abrams
- inscription: Former mount, verso, upper left, printed and typed label: No. SE.1977.6.45 / Artist Herman Saftleven / Title A Flower / Date 1680 / Medium Chalk and washes / Dimensions 24 1/4 x 18 1/4" / Credit line Maida and Geo. Abrams Coll. / THE DENVER ART MUSEUM
- inscription: Former mount, verso, upper left, printed label: LOT NO. / E-3032 / 009 / SECURITY / Wash., D.C.
- Agneta Block, Vijverhof, The Netherlands. Perhaps Samuel van Huls, The Hague, sold; [Swart, The Hague, 14 May 1736, under portfs. YYY and ZZZ, lot 3882.] Perhaps Jan Bisschop, sold; [Bosch et al., Rotterdam, 24 June 1771, kb K, under lots 70-89]; lots 70-72, 75-78, 81-84, and 89 to H. van den Bergh, lots 73-74, 79-80, 85-86, and 88 to D. de Jongh, lot 87 to Fouquet. Perhaps heirs of Michiel van den Bergh, Rotterdam, sold; [Holsteyn, Rotterdam, 19 June 1786, kb D, lots 4, 14-26]; to Philippie. Or instead perhaps the heirs of Daniel de Jongh, sold; [Van Ryp, Rotterdam, 26 March 1810, kb N, lots 55-61.] Janet and John E. Marqusee, New York, sold; [Sotheby’s, London, 13 December 1973, lot 155, repr. p. 82]; to [Baskett & Day, London], sold; to Maida and George Abrams, Boston, 1974 (L. 3306, verso, lower left); The Maida and George Abrams Collection, 1999.169.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- The Maida and George Abrams Collection, Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- Publication History
Exhibition of Thirty Old Master Drawings of the Northern Schools, auct. cat., Baskett and Day (London, England, 1974), cat. no. 30, n.p., repr. fig. 30
Wolfgang Schulz, "Blumenzeichnungen von Herman Saftleven d. J.", Zeitschrift für Kunstgeschichte (1977), vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 135-153, no. 1, p. 149, repr. p. 140, fig. 3
Franklin W. Robinson, Seventeenth Century Dutch Drawings from American Collections, exh. cat., International Exhibitions Foundation (Washington, D.C, 1977), cat. no. 45, pp. 50-51, repr.
The Draughtsman at Work. Drawing in the Golden Century of Dutch Art, checklist (unpublished, 1980), no. 21
W. Schulz, Herman Saftleven, 1609-1685: Leben und Werke: mit einem kritischen Katalog..., De Gruyter (Berlin, Germany and New York, NY, 1982), cat. no. 1420, pp. 96 and 481, repr. fig. 221
William W. Robinson, Seventeenth-Century Dutch Drawings: A Selection from the Maida and George Abrams Collection, exh. cat., H. O. Zimman, Inc. (Lynn, MA, 1991), cat. no. 100, pp. 218-19, and p. 9, repr.
Arthur K. Wheelock, Jr., Fram Botany to Bouquets: Flowers in Northern Art, exh. cat., National Gallery of Art (Washington, D.C, 1999), cat. no. 41, pp. 57 and 85, repr. p. 56, fig. 47
Old Master Drawings, auct. cat. (January 24, 2007), under lot 54, p. 85
The I. Q. van Regteren Altena Collection. Part 1, auct. cat., Christie's, London (London, July 10, 2014), under lot 70
George S. Keyes, "[Review] Seventeenth-Century Dutch Drawings. A Selection from the Maida and George Abrams Collection", Master Drawings (Winter 1992), vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 443-448, p. 446
- Exhibition History
Exhibition of Thirty Old Master Drawings of the Northern Schools, Baskett and Day, London, 04/02/1974 - 04/26/1974
Seventeenth Century Dutch Drawings from American Collections, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 01/30/1977 - 03/13/1977; Denver Art Museum, Denver, 04/01/1977 - 05/15/1977; Kimbell Art Museum, Fort Worth, 06/01/1977 - 07/15/1977
The Draughtsman at Work. Drawing in the Golden Century of Dutch Art, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 11/21/1980 - 01/04/1981
Seventeenth-Century Dutch Drawings: A Selection from the Maida and George Abrams Collection, Pierpont Morgan Library, New York, 01/22/1992 - 04/22/1992; Rijksprentenkabinet, Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, 02/23/1991 - 04/18/1991; Albertina Gallery, Vienna, 05/16/1991 - 06/30/1991; Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 10/10/1992 - 12/06/1992
- Subjects and Contexts
Artstor Digital Library
Google Art Project
- Verification Level
3 - Good. Object is well described and information is vetted