- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
- Chalice with Pinecone Pattern
- Work Type
- 1st century CE
- Creation Place: Ancient & Byzantine World, Asia, Anatolia
- Roman Imperial period, Early
Level 3, Room 3700, Ancient Mediterranean and Near Eastern Art, Roman Art
View this object's location on our interactive map
- Physical Descriptions
- Terracotta, lead glaze
- 12 x 15.2 cm (4 3/4 x 6 in.)
- Charles Dikran Kelekian Ancient Art, New York City, since the 1950s; acquired by the Department of the Classics, Harvard University, for the Alice Corinne McDaniel Collection, 1978; transfer to the Harvard Art Museum, 2008.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Transfer from the Alice Corinne McDaniel Collection, Department of the Classics, Harvard University
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Asian and Mediterranean Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- This mold-made, relief ware vessel has a vitreous lead glaze. The low, broad foot has molded edges and a deep central concavity underneath. The extremely truncated stem supports the deep, rounded body with a broad mouth. The rim is offset by molding.
Five rows of small pine cones in relief, each framed by an arch, ring the vessel. A small granulated rosette fills each 'spandrel' between arches.
The glaze has decayed to a semi-irridescent pale pinkish-yellow on vessel's exterior, although small green patches provide some insight into its original color. The interior and rim are coated with a well-preserved yellow-brown glaze.
Label Text: Re-View: Arts of India & the Islamic Lands , written 2008
Chalice Decorated with Pine Cones Set in Scale Pattern
Asia Minor, probably Tarsus, Roman Imperial era, 1st century
Earthenware with molded reliefand monochrome glaze
Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Transfer from the Alice Corinne McDaniel Collection, Department of the Classics, Harvard University, 2008.26
- Exhibition History
Roman Gallery Installation (long-term), Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 09/16/1999 - 01/20/2008
Re-View: Arts of India & the Islamic Lands, Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Cambridge, 04/26/2008 - 06/01/2013
32Q: 3700 Roman, Harvard Art Museums, 11/01/2014
- Subjects and Contexts
Google Art Project
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Asian and Mediterranean Art at firstname.lastname@example.org